Safer insulin prescribing and ongoing management of individuals taking insulin in primary care

Blackwood karen

Karen Bartha discusses recommendations for the safe prescribing of insulin and the types of insulin available for different patient groups.

There are approximately 4.5 million people with diabetes in the UK, 10% of these people will have type 1 diabetes, where insulin is essential for life; the remaining 90%, have type 2 diabetes—many of these people will progress to require insulin. Treatment with insulin can improve the quality of life for many individuals; however, errors in insulin prescribing and management are very common and can lead to patient harm. With such high levels of patients using insulin, and the continuing shift of responsibility into primary care for routine diabetes care, it is imperative that healthcare professionals (HCPs) increase their knowledge and understanding of insulin. Insulin therapy, for people with type 2 diabetes, should only be initiated and managed by HCPs with the relevant expertise and training.

Register or subscribe to view this content

Please sign in to continue reading this content, or …

Register

Guidelines for Nurses is free for UK-based doctors, nurses, and pharmacists.

Sign-up now—it takes just a few minutes and you’ll get unlimited access to all of our content, including summaries, expert articles, tools and resources, and CPD modules.

Read for £5

Pay £5.00 to continue reading this content.

This will entitle you to unlimited access to our summaries, expert articles, and CPD modules for 30 days.